Monday, August 30, 2010

Painted upfashioned T's using Freezer Paper


Today is the first day of school for my little boys.  They were a little apprehensive on going back to school, so I let them pick out a clipart off the web of something that makes them smile and decided to upfashion one of their T-shirts, for their first day.  They were super excited to wear their new T-shirts to school!  My boys are really into characters and graphics on their shirts and socks, so I pulled out a few of their plain T's and started working on them.

Materials:
Plain T-shirt
Fabric paint (or plain acrylic paint with some textile medium)
Paint brush
Freezer paper
Fine point exacto-knife
Iron and Ironing board
Printout of your template

I found this cute spacedog online and used MS Word to add the wording.

Place the piece of freezer paper (shiny side down) over the image 
and start cutting out every negative space (the black part of the drawing).  
***Remember*** to save the little pieces of positive space 
(the white part of the drawing) if you are forced to cut it.  
(i.e. the tail of the dog)

Use your hot iron to iron on your T-shirt.
Include the little pieces too.

Just another photo with the included pieces.

Use your paint and paint brush to paint the open spaces. I also used a piece of parchment paper to put underneath the shirt so that if any
paint leaked through the shirt it wouldn't damage my ironing board.

Peel off the paper after it's dry and put a piece of cloth over the top of the
image and iron to seal in the paint.

Both boys wanted the same image, so I was able to use my template twice, 
but after that, it's no good.

No comments:

Post a Comment