Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Fusing Plastic Bags

For a while now, I have been eyeing some very cute everyday use bags people have made from recycled bags. I first saw this idea on the Etsy Lab website. After researching, I found some incredibly cool projects people have made with recycled bags! My favorite is from Craftzine. Seriously, how cute is that hat and bag? There are detailed instructions on how to make this super cute creation on the website.
Or, if you are like me, a Sew-Not, then you may be able to pull off a simple bag like mine and call it your wonderous creationous! Okay really, but you will see me with this bag in the store. I put way to much time into to it, to not use it. At least I can call it my own.





Materials:
-6 layers of bags for each section of the bag (Front, Back, 2 Sides, Bottom) Any choice bags or coloring will be fine. I do like the really Large bags from Target.
-Iron and Ironing board
-Parchment Paper
-Scissors
-Sewing machine

How-To:
-Smooth out each bag and cut off all the handles and bottoms off of each bag.
-Layer 6 bags on top of each other. Remember to put your top layer and bottom layer the colors you choose for your bag.
-Place your 6ply of bags between two large sheets of parchment paper.
-Set iron to a Medium setting and continually iron your bags for about 15 seconds on each side until melted. Check for bubbles. You do not want these, they are a weak point in your bag/fabric, so keep ironing until all bubbles are gone.
-Cut each piece to desired length leaving a 1/4" seam allowance
-Assemble sides to the front and back using a zigzag stitch
-Attach bottom and handles



No comments:

Post a Comment