Saturday, July 31, 2010

Mini Cream Pies



This is the first time I've ever tried to pull one over on my Husband and succeeded.  I have to say, it's not easy pulling off a surprise party for someone who is so detailed oriented that he asks you where did every "fresh" mark on the wall come from.  With three small permanent children in the home, to answer a question like that is near impossible.  I usually say, "what mark?".  Honestly I didn't notice.  So, back to my point.  I'm sure I had a point somewhere, oh yeah, I threw a surprise party for Hubby and He actually was surprised.  I made some sweet treats that I want to share with you. Using my Mom's recipe for homemade coconut cream pie and chocolate pie, and my Grandma's recipe for homemade cheesecake, I decided to make mini pies.  This way everyone could try every flavor.  These little stars became the hit of the party!  I will share with you the recipe and how I made it all happen.

Ingredients for crust:
1 box of Pillsbury pie crust
1 egg white
flour
biscuit cutter or tubberware top or circle cookie cutter (I used a 2 3/4" size)
mini muffin pan/mold
rolling pin
flat surface or rolling mat
brush for brushing on egg white
oven preheated to 350

First sprinkle your rolling mat and muffin pan with a little flour.  This helps your dough not to stick to the mat or mold.  Roll out the pie dough on the mat.  Cut out circles with your biscuit cutter and mold/shape them into each muffin hole.
Brush the egg white onto each shaped pie crust and place in oven until brown.  
Set aside and let it cool.


Next is the pie filling! Yum! (Sorry, no photos for this step. I forgot.)

Ingredients: 
4 eggs                                                        
1 cup sugar                                               
3 heaping tablespoons corn starch        
2 cups of milk
Dash of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla


For chocolate, add 3 heaping teaspoons cocoa with corn starch
For coconut - add on top of meringue
For banana, add banana in pie shell before pudding



4 eggs separated - white & yolks; set egg whites aside
Measure 2 cups of milk. 
Beat egg yolks with 1 cup of milk.  Add sugar and continue beating.
Mix the corn starch with the remaining 1 cups of milk until smooth.
Add to egg yolk mixture.
Add dash of salt.  Beat till smooth.




Cook in microwave or on stove until pudding forms, stirring every few minutes.  (I just learned that if you overcook the corn starch - that's what makes the pudding lumpy.)
Add vanilla and pour into already baked pie shells.


Lastly, the meringue!

For meringue: (Make sure that you use a ceramic, glass or metal bowl because the bowl has to be grease-free.  If the bowl has some grease lingering, the whites won't beat up well.)

Ingredients: 
Egg whites
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cream of tartar
6 tablespoons sugar (some recipes say 2 tablespoons of sugar per egg white, but I find that it doesn't beat up as well.)
Take egg whites, add salt and cream of tartar and beat until stiff peaks form.
Add sugar 1 tablespoon at a time and make sure it's beaten in before adding next.

Add coconut on top, if you are making coconut cream.
Or you can add a chocolate morsel on
top of merinque
if you are making a chocolate cream pie.

Bake at 350 until meringue is browned.


Here's a picture of the cheesecakes

No comments:

Post a Comment